Thursday, March 21, 2013

Why should I write this story?

Hello and thanks for dropping by.

I was asked a question the other day from a friend of mine and I want to share my thoughts on it with you.  This friend revealed to me that she had been thinking about writing a story for a long time but had decided not to because she would not be good at it.  She went on to say that she still thinks about it but she just is not good at those kind of things. 

In the short time that I have been a writer I have heard this story quite a bit.  Here are my thoughts on the subject.

Why should I write this story?  There are so many answers to that question.  There are the text book answers: to inform, to entertain, to persuade.  Hopefully every story I share with you will achieve all of these items to some extent.  There is always the answer of to make money.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the desire to make money from telling stories.  In fact it is one of my primary goals.  That goal is circular.  I want to make enough money with my writing so that I can dedicate more time to my writing.  The money is not really the goal for me.  The way that it would enable me to dedicate more time to writing and not have to work another job for 40 hours a week.  That is 40 hours that I could be telling stories.

The real reason for me to write a story is so that I can share it.  I have found that the process of writing the story for me is great fun.  I really enjoy discovering the characters as they develop throughout the story.  More often than not they end up being different than what I first imagined them.  They also change the story from what I thought it would end up as. 

I have a lot of ideas for stories rolling around in my head.  I guess I could tell you that I am mulling them over.  That is true and still not complete.  Some of the stories are content with staying in the background while others are incessantly popping up with new scenes and scenarios.  This brings me back to the conversation with my friend.

I pointed out to her that since the story kept coming back to her it was obviously something that she wanted to talk about.  I advised her to do just that.  Sit down and tell the story.  Simply write it out.  No pressure to show it to anyone else.  Simply tell the story.  After that go back and read it over and see if the story has been told.  Are there points that need further explanation?  Are there things that are missing?  Once the story has been told then sit back and let it simmer for a while.  Ask yourself whether you want to share the story.  If so with whom?

It is my opinion that we all have stories to tell.  Some of these stories are to be shared.  Some are definitely not meant to see the light of day.  Burn baby Burn!!!  And then there are some stories that demand to be told!

If you are still reading this then you have the passion within you.  I urge you to pick up the thread and find out where it leads.  Will you weave an epic odyssey?  Will you unravel the mysteries of the universe?  Will you bring laughter and wonder to children?  Will you cause the heart-rates of lovers the world over to race?  Pick up the thread my friend and let the tale be told.

Talk with you again soon,

T L Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment