Sunday, May 19, 2013

How to find time to write in a chaotic world

How to find the time to write in a chaotic world.

As I am writing this my children are playing.  They are not the quiet sort.  They are very energetic and really get into whatever adventure they are undertaking.  My wife is chatting away on the telephone with a friend.  When this is done we will be going out for the day to attend to family business.
I say all of this because most of you are like me.  We do not live in a vacuum.  We have lives that need to be tended to.  We have families that demand and deserve our attention.  Most of us have full time jobs as well.  I am including you home makers as well.  You may not punch a time clock but you have a salaried position that is very demanding.  Keeping up the everyday business of running a home is work!

So now that we have established that we are busy and pulled in many different directions, when do we find the time to follow our passion of writing.

We make the time.  That may sound cliche' but it is the only way.  I have talked with other writers who carry around their idea book.  It is a small notebook that they keep in their purse or pocket.  When inspiration strikes them they take out their idea book and jot down the inspiration.  I have one friend that uses breakfast and lunch to work on his story lines.  He puts his notebook next to his bowl of cereal or his lunch tray and works on his story.

I have found success using both of these strategies.  I have also learned through trial and error that my best time to write is in the morning.  If I wake up and power up my trusty laptop before anything else I am able to get in some really productive storytelling.  I also try to write before going to sleep.  This may only be for 15 minutes or so, sometimes for hours on end, but I find that whatever idea I am working on it is usually richer after letting it simmer overnight.  On the nights that creativity is flowing I have found myself surprised to see that it is 3 am and time has literally slipped away.  I admit that I really love the feeling when that happens.  The next day at work I am paying the price though.  Unfortunately I am not one of the people that work very well on only 4 hours of sleep a night.  I like my sleep.  I like a good 8 to 10 hours of sleep.  Unfortunately I also like to write and my busy day takes up most of my time so sleep is sacrificed on the mantle of creativity.

So in summary capture inspiration when it hits by jotting down your ideas and ways to develop them, take advantage of situations like breakfast and lunch when you can write while you are doing something else, and make time to immerse yourself in your story.  For me the best time is in the morning but find out what works for you.

The biggest advice I can pass along is to keep at it.  There will be a million and one things that get in the way.  Things that demand your attention will always be around.  Focus and find the time to follow your passion of writing and you will be a writer, and writers write!

All the best,

TL Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment